Monday, December 7, 2009

Member Spotlight: Monique Hawthorne




Monique Hawthorne

Where did you grow up?
My parents moved 9 different places all across the U.S. before I entered the 4th grade, but they ended up settling in Bakersfield, California. Never heard of it? Consider yourself lucky!


Was there a large Taiwanese presence in your community when you were growing up?

Numerically, no - probably can count the number of families on my hands and toes. But, the bond and presence is very strong. The Taiwanese American families in Bakersfield really support each other. If nothing else, someone was always passing around home-made mochi and bah-tzang.

Now?
In Portland, Oregon there is a larger population than in Bakersfield. I'm just getting plugged into it though. I met a lot of great women at the last NATWA mid-year meeting in Portland.

Can you share with us any interesting stories or ideas about being Taiwanese American?
Growing up in Bakersfield, I found it hard to live my Taiwanese-ness and my American-ness in mainstream culture. I was either a "forever foreigner" or an "all American girl." I didn't believe that I could live in this duality: an American patriot who could eat multiple bowls of minced pork rice with chopsticks?

After graduating from high school, I headed to Washington D.C. for a congressional internship and it was there that I was introduced to the world of TAF, ITASA, FAPA, TAC etc. I was hooked! All these people who simultaneously are both Taiwanese and American/Canadian, not having to choose one culture or another, but existing fully in both and thriving. I still remember flying to Grand Rapids, MI for my first TAF summer. It was like coming home to perfect strangers.


What is your profession currently?

Real Estate and Environmental Attorney


Did your Taiwanese heritage influence your current career path? If so, can you tell us what role your heritage played in what you do now?
Yes, to the extent that my parents are a huge part of my Taiwanese heritage, they influenced my career path.

My dad grew up in rural Kaohsiung as a rice farmer's son, and his mom passed away before he was in jr. high. He worked his way through school and chose a profession where he could provide for his father and sisters. His education helped break the cycle of poverty. My mom, on the other hand, grew up in a well-to-do family in Taipei, but was literally raised to be married off. Her parents pulled her out of school to get married. Because of their live journeys, my parents value education above so many things. Did I succumb to the pressure? Yup, you bet. I have the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. Besides, my parents never got the chance to set me up with any Taiwanese guys, so I consider us even.

Luckily, I like what I do, and it provides me a very credible platform to push the Taiwanese independence agenda.

What advice can you give other young Taiwanese-(north) American women about pursuing a career in North America and maintaining ties to their Taiwanese identity?
No matter what you do in life, do it well. This means above all things loving your family and friends well.

There is no one model on how one can retain her Taiwanese identity. For some, the mere fact that Taiwanese blood runs through veins will be enough. For others, it means that they submerse themselves in Taiwanese community. One thing is for certain: we've all been shaped by our Taiwanese identity and we share a common thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment